banner of Cork
Home History shipwreck Lists Lighthouses and Navigation Irish Naval Service Royal Navy in Cork US Navy in Cork US Naval Air Service in Cork The Cork Training Ships The Prison Hulk Surprise The Cork Hospital Ships Killeagh RNAS Station Harbour Fortifications Cork Harbour Views Cork Shipping Galleries Sources
Banner early 19th Century Shipwrecks

. . .
Date Vessel Name Event
January 1800 Mona On Thursday January 30th 1800 it was reported that the Mona , master Maudry, from Surinam to Liverpool, was on shore at Kinsale.
March 1800 Thomas Grandison A report from Youghal dated March 10, 1800 stated: “ A few days back was driven on our Coast a quantity of Bees-wax. A boat has come on shore (within eight miles of this) with Thomas Grandison , Lisbon, marked on her stern.”
October 1800 Lucy On Thursday, October 9th 1800, it was reported that the Lucy , from Charleston was driven on shore at Cork and bilged.
November 01, 1800 Sailing Boat On the 1st of November 1800, Mr.Chopin and Mr.Bowen, both of Dominica, and Mr.Thomas Raine, of Lancaster, passengers; and Henry Cain and John Flannagan, seamen, in the ship Penelope , from Lancaster for Dominica, sailing in an open boat, were all drowned by it’s upsetting.
December 06,1800 Bellona The Bellona , sailed from Whitehaven with a cargo of coal for Cork. On the 6th of December she struck a rock near Ballycotton and went down. The crew of the Bellona were all saved
December 1800 Gravalia On Wednesday December 31, 1800, it was reported that the Gravalia , master Icclerbom, from the coast of Spain to Hambro, was lost off Kinsale. It was stated that the crew were saved.
December 03 1801 New Thompson On the 3rd of December, 1801, the sloop New Thompson , struck the Youghal bar in fog, lost her rudder and drifted ashore. One of the crew jumped overboard and tried to swim ashore, but was dashed on the rocks and more crew died overnight. Three remaining survivors were rescued by locals
January 20, 1802 Admiral Packenham On January 29th 1802 it was reported that the Admiral Packingham , master Ross, from St Croix was stranded near Cork on the 20th of January.
September 13th 1802 Traveller On September 13th 1802 it was reported that the Traveller , of Guernsey, laden with rum and provisions from Cork bound to London, foundered on Saturday last, about 10 leagues from Cork – Crew saved and arrived here.
November 1802 Maria The Maria, master Richards, from Limerick to London, was lost near Cork in November, 1802. All the crew perished.
January 1803 Earl St Vincent On January 13th 1803 it was reported that the Earl St.Vincent , a schooner had been run down and severly damaged in Cork Harbour. It was hoped that she would be repaired once the weather moderated. Earl St. Vincent The had arrived in Cork from Jamaica
October 25 1803 HMS Euryalus On the 17th of October 1803 it was reported that HMS Euryalus , under Captain Blackwood had gone ashore at Spike Island while trying to enter Cork, and was still ashore.By the 25th of October she was reported to be off without much damage.
December 25, 1803 HMS Suffisante On the 25th of September 1803, in a gale, HMS Suffisante , a 16-gun sloop went ashore off Spike Island. She heeled over in the heavy seas and split in two. Seven crew were drowned and three were killed by a falling mast.
January 1804 Copelin On January 9th 1804 It was reported that the Copelin , Callaghan master, from Newport, was lost near Cork. (The actual loss of the Copelin may have been late December 1803)
January 1804 Mary On January 9th 1804 It was reported that the Mary , master Chandler, from Bristol to Charleston, was totally lost near Cork: crew and passengers saved.
February 04, 1804 Trident Unnamd Unnamed The Trident , master Kneale, drove on shore in Cork harbour on the 4th of Febraury 1804. She was attempting to leave the harbour on a voyage from Liverpool to Montserrat, in the Caribbean. she got off on the next tide and was able to rejoin her convoy. Two other unnamed ships also went ashore at the same time.
February 1804 Sovereign On February 4th 1804 it was reported that the Sovereign , Capt, Richardson, from Trinidad, bound to London, which sailed under convoy of the Chichester man of war, was lost near Youghal, in Ireland. The Captain and 28 of the crew of the Sovereign , were drowned.
December 1804 Union On January 7th 1805 it was reported that the Union , master Williams, from Bangor to London, was driven out of Scilly, and had been wrecked going into Cork. (This wreck would probably have been in late December 1804)
March 10, 1805 Arbuckle On March 10th 1805 , the Liverpool ship Arbuckle was lost in Rocky Bay, off Robert’s Cove. She was bound to Cork with ballast and coals, to join a convoy for the West Indies. The Roberts Cove revenue boat rescued the master and his thirteen crew.
January 25, 1806 Prince of Wales The Prince of Wales, master, Davis, struck on the Giants Stairs, in Cork Harbour on the 25th Jan, 1806. She foundered and was reported to be sitting in 18 Fathoms of water.
February 1806 Mary It was reported on the 18th of February, 1806, that the Mary , master Dryer, from London to Kinsale with stores, was stranded near Cork.
February 07, 1806 Hope On the 7th of February 1806, The brigantine Hope , of Greenock, was wrecked on the Western side of the Old Head of Kinsale. The ship, under Captain McEwing, was bound for Liverpool from Jamaica, when she was caught in a south-westerly gale, and driven towards the lee shore. She went to pieces in minutes but the crew were saved
February 15, 1806 Britannia The Liverpool ship Britannia blew up while lying at anchor in Cork Harbour on February 15th 1806. She was waiting with about one hundred and thirty other ships, for one of the massive convoy’s of the time, to set sail for the West Indies. I was thought the crew were transferring gunpowder at the time. The bodies of eight seamen and one woman were recovered from the water.
March 1806 Lady Boyle On Saturday March 08th 1806 it was reported that the Lady Boyle , master Hayes, bound to Barbadoes, had put back into Cork in distress. It was further stated that she had been on shore and must be unloaded
October 1806 Defiance On October 11th 1806 it was reported that the Defiance, master Williams, from Bristol to Jamaica had gone on shore at Cork, and had received so much damaged as to render her unworthy of repair.
February 1807 Erin On the 28th of February 1807, it was reported that the Erin , master Fowler, from Cork to Weymouth, was on shore near Cork
October 12, 1807 Union The Union , master Bigley, of and from Baltimore to Cork, laden with staves, was driven onshore off Barry’s Point, near Kinsale on the 12th of October 1807. The crew were all saved.
December 27,1807 Rising Sun On December 27th 1807,the Rising Sun , master Hutton, was driven on shore on her beam-ends, in Kinsale. She was gotten off without major damage the following week. The wine on board was saved, but it was feared that the cargo of barilla (soda ash) would be lost.
October , 1808 James On November 7th, 1808, it was reported that the James , master Prior, from St Ube’s to Limerick, was reported on shore near Crosshaven Harbour. The cargo was being unloaded.
January, 1809 Brothers On Jan 28th 1809, it was reported that the Brothers , a transport belonging to Shields, was totally 'burnt' in Cork harbour . Her master was Grey.
February, 1809 Swallow On February 10th 1809 it was reported that the Swallow , master Ryan, on a voyage from Newfoundland to Ross, was on shore in Youghal Bay. Cargo saved.
September, 1809 Britannia On the 26th of September, 1809, the Britannia , master Sullivan, from Youghal to Liverpool was lost on ‘some rocks’ near Youghal
October 13, 1809 Unnmed Galliot On the 13th of October 1809, a French galliot, with balk and boards, prize to a Guernsey privateer, was lost near the Old Head of Kinsale. The cargo was reported as saved.
February 08, 1810 Ceres On the 8th of February 1810, the ship Ceres , master Hearn, was lost near Cork. She was on a voyage from Tonningen, in the Netherlands, to New York
October 1810 Flora On November 10th 1810 it was reported that the Flora , master Williams, had foundered lately (probably near the end of October) near Cork. The mate and fourteen seamen drowned.
October 22, 1810 Fly The Fly , master Harker, from Liverpool to Africa, was lost on the 22nd of October, near the Old Head of Kinsale. It was reported that only a small part of the cargo of the Fly was saved
November 1810 Roaina On December 1st 1810, it was reported that the Roaina , master Samuelson, from North America, was on shore in Ballyratten (Ballycotton?) bay, near Cork. She was expected to go to pieces shortly.
November 1810 Severn The Severn , master Tucker, from Bristol to St Vincent’s run foul of the Helena , sloop of war, in getting under weigh from Cork, 20th Inst and received so much damage that she could not proceed with the fleet. She was reported stranded in Rocky Bay.
November 16, 1810 Chesterfield On the 16th of November, 1810, the Chesterfield , master Harrison, from Douglas to St.Michael’s, was driven on shore a few miles from Cork. She was afterwards gotten off with damage, and arrived at Cork.
November 26,1810 Aurora On Monday 26th November 1810, a ship stated top be the Aurora , of London, bound to Amelia Island, was totally lost off Cork Head. All the crew of the Aurora were reported saved
December 31, 1810 Diana On January 19th 1811 it was reported that the Diana , master Jameson, from Limerick to Bristol, had run ashore near Ballinacurra Creek (near Midleton) on the 31st of December 1810. It was stated that the cargo of the Diana would have to be unloaded.
January 1811 Hannah On January 26th 1811, the Hannah transport, master Smith, was reported lost near Cork. No other details of this wreck have been found yet.
January 1811 Commerce On Saturday, January 19th, 1811, The Commerce , master Bourke, from Liverpool to Bristol, was reported totally lost near Youghal. The crew were noted as being saved
January 30, 1811 Susan The Susan , master Shaw, from Cork to Lisbon, was reported lost near Cork on the 30th of January. Most of the cargo was saved. On February 15th however, the Susan which had been on shore, was recorded as gotten off
October 04, 1811 John and Mary The John and Mary , master Matthews, from Cork to London, was reported totally lost on the 4th of October 1811. The position given was ‘near Cork’
November 16,1812 Caroline On the 16th of November 1812, the Sloop Caroline , James Mullins Master, got on shore at Bullens Bay, near the Old Head of Kinsale. The crew were all saved and the cargo unloaded, damaged. She was gotten off in December.
May 20, 1814 Neptune On the 20th of May 1814, the Neptune , master Thorley, was reported ashore at Ringabella, near Cork. The Neptune was on route from Liverpool to Halifax, in Canada.
September 03, 1814 Bacchus On September 09th, 1814, it was reported that the Bacchus , sloop of war was on shore at the back of Spike Island, near Cork on the 3rd of the month.
December 1814 London The London , master Jackson, was driven on shore near Youghal, in December 1814. She was on route from Whitehaven to Jamaica. In January 1815, the London was reported as gotten off, after discharging half her cargo.
December 16,1814 Lisbon Packet The Lisbon Packet , master Peppard, was reported driven on shore at the Cove of Cork on the 16th of December 1814. It was reported that she had not received considerable damage.
December 16, 1814 Apollo The Apollo was caught up in the terrible gales of December 1814 and was driven ashore at Cuskinny in Cork Harbour. She was so badly damaged that by January 14th 1815, she had been condemned and the cargo sold.
December 1814 MARIA It was reported that the Maria , master Henderson, was lost with all of her crew in Rocky Bay, Cork, in late December 1814
April 22, 1815 Perthshire The Perthshire , master Wright, from Jamaica to Greenock, ran on shore between Ballycotton island and Cork on the 12th of April 1815. She had eleven feet of water in her hold.
October 15, 1815 Eliza Ann The Eliza Ann , master Douglas, from Cork to Youghal and Lisbon, was reported to be on shore in Youghal Bay on the 15th of October 1815. The ship was said to be full of water.
December 1816 Eliza On the 25th of December,1816, it was reported that the Eliza , master Younghusband, from Malaga, in going from Cove to Cork, went aground and filled with water.
December 07, 1817 Unnamed Hooker A severe gale on the night of Sunday the 7th of December 1817, hit the harbour of Cork. A small hooker had been anchored in Ringabella Bay, and it was thought that she dragged her anchor and was blown to sea where she foundered.
January 05, 1818 Bernard The Bernard , ran ashore on the west side of Cork Harbour on Sunday 05th Jan 1818. It was expected that she would be gotten off after discharging her cargo.
January 09, 1818 Flora The Flora , master Caldwell, from Quebec to London was driven on shore, on the 9th of January 1818, near the Old Head of Kinsale. The cargo was expected to be saved
January 12, 1818 Caledonia The Caledonia , master Steward, bound from Prince Edward’s Island to Cork, was wrecked near the Old Head of Kinsale on the 12th of January 1818. Crew and cargo were saved.
November 11, 1818 Sylvan The Sylvan , on route from Liverpool to Cork suffered rigging failure and was wrecked between the Sovereign Islands near Oysterhaven, On the 11th of November 1818. Some survivors were rescued from the rocks. A gale sprang up and one survivor was on the rock for three days until rescued by local fisherman Jack Carty.
January 22, 1819 Nancy On Jan 22nd 1819, the Nancy ran on shore in White Bay, on the eastern part of Cork Harbour. She was bound from Cork to Workington, and her master was Williamson.
December 28,1821 City of Cork
Mary Ann
Hyder Ally
On the 28th of December 1821 a south-easterly gale hit Cork causing widespread damage. In the Harbour, the following accidents were recorded: The City of Cork , master Wheeler, on shore and beating very hard, one man drowned. The Mary Ann of Limerick, drove ashore against the new quay and was much damaged. The Hyder Ally (hulk) was on shore and much injured.
Nearly all the small boats in the harbour were knocked to pieces.
April 19th 1822 HMS Confiance On Saturday the 19th of April 1822, HMS Confiance grounded heavily on the Curlane Bank, between Spike Island and Crosshaven. It was reported that she was heavily strained and that her metal (ballast) shifted. The Confiance got free on Sunday 20th, and resumed her westward patrol. There was a heavy gale blowing, and on the 21st of November the Confiance was wrecked at Dunlough Bay, near the Mizen. 120 were lost, as well as four local people
April 24, 1822 Nimble The Nimble was driven on to the rocks at Roberts Cove, on the 21st of April,1822, and all on board were lost.
April 22, 1822 Fly On May 10th 1822 it was reported that wreckage coming from the Fly , of Bristol was washing ashore on the coast between Cork and Ballycotton. It was presumed that this ship was lost with all hands.
October 23, 1822 Resolution The Resolution ,master Evans, was on route from Youghal to Portsmouth. She was caught by heavy gales and driven ashore at Rocky Bay on the 23rd of October 1822. The Resolution quickly went to pieces and the master and mate were drowned.
January 01, 1823 Weare On December 31st 1822 the ship Weare , of Bristol, hit heavy headwinds, and in trying to make Cork Harbour, was driven on shore, in a bay west of Ballycotton, on January first 1823. 24 people were lost, and the bay was afterwards known as Weare Cove
November 1825 Columbus On November 03rd 1825, the derelict wreck of the Columbus was washed into Ringabella Bay in Cork Harbour. The Columbus , it was reported, had been afloat, abandoned, for some time.
December 19, 1825 Britannia On Wednesday Dec 19th 1825, the Britannia , of Padstow, was lost in a gale on the Cork coast. She struck a rock, just off the shore at Ballyandreen Bay, 10 miles west of Ballycotton and was dashed to pieces. The captain was the only survivor.
December 20 1825 Glasgow
On Monday and Tuesday the 19th and 20th of December 1825, a severe gale struck the Cork Coast. A number of ships were reported driven ashore at the Cove of Cork. Among them were; The Glasgow , from Cork to Penzane.The Laura, from Cork to Falmouth. The Union from Cork to Southampton.The Jane , of Waterford. The Ceres , of Cork.The Repute , of Tralee. The Expedition , of Dungarvan. The Diligente , Portuguese Schooner.
March 21, 1828 Unnamed Schooner On March 21st 1828, a schooner was reported as having been lost off the entrance of Ballycotton Island. The crew were all drowned. The unnamed schooner had left Cork Harbour that morning.
September 1828 General Hewett In September 1828, it was reported that the General Hewett had grounded heavily on the Harbour Rock, in Cork Harbour. She had severely damaged her hull and had to be towed in by a steam vessel, having seven feet of water in her hold.
December 06,1828 Joseph and Dorothy The schooner Joseph and Dorothy , of Hull, master Morton, was lost in Inch Bay, on the night of December 6th 1828. The ship was totally destroyed, with only the two masts, bowsprit, and some planking recoverd.
January 25, 1829 Capricho The Capricho , from Bilboa to Bristol, was lost on the 25th of January 1829. She drove ashore in Ballycotton Bay and was totally lost.One seaman was drowned, but the rest of the crew were saved by the local Water Guard.
January 21, 1830 Whaleboat
A sudden south easterly gale blew up in Cork on Thursday Jan 27th 1830. From Roberts Cove a large coaster laden with potatoes coming from the west was seen to founder.All three crew were lost.
A hooker lying in Crusheen Bay to take on a cargo of slates was blown out of the bay with two men on board and was lost.
From Monkstown, a whale-boat set out with 5 men on board. The were on the lookout for pilotage work, but the next sighting of the boat was bottom-up about 6 miles south of Roches Point. All were lost
February 1830 Speedwell On Saturday February 6th 1830, it was reported that the Speedwell , from Clonakilty to Dublin was driven on shore near Poor Head, Cork. The crew and part of the cargo were stated to be saved
November 20, 1830 Meteor On the 20th of November 1830, the Meteor , of Southampton, bound to Cork, was driven on shore in Ballycotton Bay
November 26,1830 Shaw On November 26th 1830, the Greenock sloop Shaw was wecked at Dunbogie Cove, near Oysterhaven. Her entire crew survived, but the ship went to pieces immediately
November 07, 1831 Whaleboat On the night of Monday November 7th 1831 one of the river steam-boats collided with a whale-boat with three crew members, from Crosshaven. Two of the crew were drowned.
July 05, 1833 Coastguard Boat On Friday July 5th 1833 a Crosshaven coast guard boat was returning from Cove duty with five men on board. While passing Spike Island she was seen to be overtaken by a sudden squall and capsized throwing the men in the water. All five passengers were lost
December 01, 1833 Minerva On the 1st of December 1833, a vessel competely awash was driven into Youghal Bay. She was the Minerva , bound from New York to Liverpool. Some of the crew were rescued from the rigging. Three crew were drowned, as well as the captain, found dead in his cabin.
March 16, 1835 Standard During a strong gale on May 16th 1835, the Standard , master Poile, from Canton for Liverpool, drove ashore in Cork Harbour. Luckily she was refloated later, with little or no damage.
September 11, 1837 Janos On the 14th of September the Greenock ship Janos , bound from Greenock to Cork, got onshore beside Roches Point Lighthouse. She was luckily gotten off the rocks on the next tide without major damage.
September 19, 1837 Laurel The Laurel , bound from Kinsale to Cork went ashore on Roberts Head on the night of Tuesday 19th of September 1837. The crew were all saved and part of her cargo recovered
January 20, 1838 Killarney The paddle-steamer Killarney , left Cork on route to Bristol, on the 19th of December 1838. There was a severe gale blowing, and on the next day the Killarney was wrecked at Rennies Bay, near Nohoval. This wreck was infamous, due to the survivors having to cling to a pinnacle of rock for two days awaiting rescue. Only 13 survived of the 50 on board.
January 20, 1838 Repartere On the 20th of January 1838, the gales brought another victim. This was the French brig Repatere , which ran ashore at Kilcoleman’s Strand, off Bullens Bay, near Kinsale. The crew were all saved and the cargo recovered.
January 24th, 1838 Unnamed Sloop On January 21st 1838 it was blowing a gale from ESE. An unnamed sloop laden with herrings, was reported wrecked near the Sovereign Islands west of Cork Harbour. This was the same gale in which the Killarney was lost nearby
February 14 to 23, 1838 Terpsichore
Governor Douglas
French Brigantine
Sir Fancis Burton
Between the 14th and 16th of February 1838, violent gales blew up from the SE causing devastation around the British Isles. Cork was particularly badly hit with chaotic scenes throughout the harbour. There was no vessel in harbour that did not at least receive some damage. By Saturday the 18th, the shoreline was covered with wreckage and stranded vessels.
The Terpsichore , a French frigate from Martinique to Brest was driven on shore with boats stove in. Her topmast and yards also came down.
The Isabella and the Albion collided after dragging anchors,the Albion lost her bowspit and figurehead. The Isabella lost her mizenmast.
The Alert dragged and fouled the Governor Douglas . The Alert lost both her masts and bowspit, and had other major damage.
The Henry , of Cork, broke from her mooring opposite Smith-Barry quay. She struck the rocks, rebounded and foundered mid-channel, off the yacht battery.
The Euterpe , from Demerara was driven on shore opposite the yacht club house
An unnamed brigantine, possibly French, was seen to founder off Roches Point. Two Coast Guards described seeing the vessel, attempting to make port, being struck by a large sea, which threw the vessel on her beam-ends. She was then struck by a further sea, from which she did not recover. There were two bodies, as a number of dead pigs washed ashore, possibly from this vessel.
The Nailer , a barquentine from Africa , was driven ashore at White Point.
The Emma , a Halifax schooner from Newfoundland, was dismasted and driven ashore at Haulbowline - likely to be a total wreck.
The Julia , a schooner from Newfoundland, was driven ashore on the rocks.
The Eliza , for Madeira went ashore at White Point.
The Temperance , brigantine, was ashore on the rocks
The Joseph , for Bristol, went shore at Monkstown after breaking her anchor cable
On February 16th 1838, the Sir Francis Burton was totally lost near Youghal. She was on route from Liverpool to Demerara, (now in Guyana). Her crew were reported as saved.
February 23, 1838 Fanny Voace
John Harvey
On Friday 23rd of February 1838, a schooner was lost with all on board, on Cable Island, south of Youghal. Five boats inscribed Fanny Voace and other wreckage supposed to belong to the ill –fated vessel, was washed ashore.
In the same storm, part of the stern of a vessel marked John Harvey was washed ashore on the Cork Coast. Presumably from a vessel that had foundered at sea.
November 30, 1838 Clementson On November 30th, 1838, the brigantine Clementson went ashore near Ballycotton. Her crew including the master and owner J. Newby, were saved, as was the cargo of copper ore and cotton. The ship however went to pieces.
November 30, 1838 Mary On the 30th of November, 1838, the Mary , from Maranhao in Brazil, to Liverpool, was reported totally lost near Cork. The crew were reported saved
December 08,1838 Enterprise On December 8th 1838, the Enterprise , bound to Teneriffe, was ashore at Cork. She was reported to be bilged.
June 1839 Orleans The brigantine Orleans , struck fast on the Cow and Calf Rocks at Roches Point in the end of June 1839. She was floated off on Friday July 6th by the use of empty casks, and subsequently towed to Whitepoint for repairs.
February 09, 1840 Havre On February 9th, 1840, fire was discovered on board the American vessel Havre . Luckily the Havre was only a few miles off Cork Harbour. Local pilot, Kirby, succeeded in rescuing the crew of the Havre , including the wife of the master, at great risk to himself and his vessel. Soon afterwards, the Havre blew up and sank east of Power Head.
July 12, 1840 HMS Vesuvius HMS Vesuvius, a paddle steamer sloop, was on troop-carrying duties when she attempted to enter Cork Harbour on the 21st July 1840. There was a thick fog and the Vesuvius grounded heavily. She was floated off later that day, but damage done in the grounding, necessitated a refit at Plymouth
July 18, 1840 Boating accident On Saturday 18th of July 1840, a rowing boat overturned in Cork Harbour. On board were a Major Rogers, Lieutenant Lawless, Mr Hugh Roche, and Mr Paul Welland. Of these only Major Rogers was pulled from the water alive. He , in turn died a few days later.
March 12, 1841 Abet On Friday March 12th 1841 The schooner Abet of Cork was on route from Swansea to Cork with a cargo of coal. In thick fog, off Cork Harbour, she was run into by the emigrant barque Royal Saxon . Within two hours the Abet had sunk, and the Royal Saxon detoured to Cork Harbour to offload the crew of the Abet , all of whom were saved.
March 29, 1841 Pilot Boat On Monday Mar 29th 1841, a pilot-boat capsized off the Cove of Cork .All hands, consiting of six persons perished.
June 24, 1842 Pshyce On Frday July 1st, 1842 -The Psyche, Sommervile, in proceeding to sea, missed stays, and grounded near Corkbeg, but got off with assistance at high water the next evening
November 04,1842 Sarah The schooner Sarah , from Swansea, for Waterford, was lost on Friday 4th of November, at Poor Head. The crew were saved and taken into Cork by the Ann from Ipswich.
March 22, 1843 Earl of Roden On Wednesday the 22nd of March, 1843, The Earl of Roden a 227 ton wooden paddle steamer belonging to the St. George Steam Packet Company was run ashore in a gale at Ballylanders, between power Head and Ballycotton.The ship was broken up by the weather within days.
May 21, 1844 John Mitchell
In 1844 a heavy gale from NW to N hit Cork on May 16th. As a result. the John Mitchell , from China, drove on to the mud bank near the Middle Spit Buoy. It was believed not damaged. The barque M.Evers was blown onto Haulbowline Island in the same gale.
December 12,1844 Heywood On the 12th of December 1844, the Heywood , bound for Africa, drove hard aground on the Spit bank. She was not gotten off until the 24th of the same month.
December 13, 1844 Vanguard On Friday Dec 14th 1844, the paddle-steamer Vanguard was on route from Dublin to Cork. There was a stiff south-westerly gale blowing and the Vanguard hit the Cow and Calf rocks off Roches Point and drifted ashore. Luckily all on board were rescued. The ship was later salved and resumed on the Cork to Dublin route.
December 20, 1844 Unknown Vessel On Friday the 20th of December 1844 part of a ships boat was driven into Rocky Bay, near Nohoval, it was painted lead-colour on the inside. On the following Monday, the mainmast of a schooner, of about 150 tons drifted into Ringabella Bay. It had only been in the water a short time, and was broken off under the rigging. It was surmised that an unknown vessel had foundered off the harbour, and that these pieces of wreck were all that remained of her.
October 26, 1845 Helen Press reports recorded that the Helen , of Ayr, grounded on the Spit Bank in the Cove of Cork, on the 19th of October and remained
November 01, 1845 Luvius On Saturday 01st of November 1845 The Sirius , Captain Spencer, of the City of Cork Steam Packet Company on route to Liverpool, while off Haulnbowline, collided with the brigantine Luvius ,Captain Cox. The Luvius sank, but luckily the master of the Luvius and his crew were able to escape in the ships boat
April 07, 1846 Winipac The American Barquetine Winipac left Cork on Tues April 7th 1846 bound for Havannah, Cuba. However there was a fresh southerly breeze blowing and the Winipac went on shore in White Bay on the eastern side of the Harbour. The Winipac soon became a total wreck
April 13, 1846 Robert Burns On the 13th of April, 1846, the Robert Burns collided with the barque Helen Hamilton , 9 miles south of Poor Head. The Robert Burns sank, but her crew were rescued and brought to Cork by the Helen Hamilton .
April 22, 1846 Harriet Rockwell On April 22nd 1846, the American ship Harriet Rockwell went ashore at Whitepoint, while beating down the river. She was hauled off a day later with no damage.
January 16, 1847 Sirius The wooden paddle-steamer Sirius was one of the most famous ships of the era. This was the little 700 ton ship that had beaten Brunel’s mighty Great Western in the race to become the first steamship to cross the Atlantic under power in 1838. In January 1847 she was a replacement vessel for the steamer Ocean on the Dublin to Cork route, under Captain Moffat.
On January 16th 1847 the Sirius was on route from Dublin to Cork when she ran into thick fog off the Cork Coast. Without warning, at four in the morning, the ship ran up on an underwater reef of rocks off Ballycotton, called the Smiths Rocks.It was decided to reverse the steamer off the ledge, but it was then found that she was taking on more water than the vessel could cope with. The fatal decision was made to run to shore. The ship grounded on a reef in Weare Cove. She immediately began to be pounded by the sea.There was mass confusion on board, and 20 people were drowned in an ineffectual boat launch
The hero of the day was passenger Captain Archibald Cameron, who, in conjunction with the arrival of the Ballycotton coastguard boat, organised getting the survivors ashore. In July 1847, Captain Cameron was awarded the silver medal by the Royal Humane Society for his heroic actions.
Local people quickly swarmed to the scene of the wreck, recovering much of the flotsam from the Sirius . The military then arrived and cordoned off the scene.
The wooden hulled Sirius was broken up by the sea in days, and the remains of her iron machinery were sold to Kilmicheal shovel mills. Her wheel shaft survives to this day, mounted on the banks of the Lee, in Glenbrook.
The best published source of information on this wreck is contained in the book Captain Roberts of the Sirius , by Daphne D.C. Pochin Mould, published in 1988. ISBN 0 9513282 0 4.
March 28, 1847 Eliza and Mary On the morning of Sunday 28th of March, 1847, a corn-laden vessel was lost at Nohoval Bay. She was the Eliza and Mary of Cork. She was bound from Youghal to Clonakilty when she struck, and all on board perished. The bodies of two small children were washed ashore that day.
December 17, 1847 Henrietta Mary On December 17th 1847, a ship grounded between Power Head and Trobolgan and quickly went to pieces. She turned out to the Henrietta Mary , of New Ross. This vessel had been abandoned some days before by the remainder of her crew. They were taken off by the brig Caroline . Observers on the clifftop observed one body still lying on deck as the ship was dashed to pieces.
November 14, 1848 Jessie On Tuesday November 14th 1848 the Jessie , master Paton, went on the Smiths Rocks, near Ballycotton. She was on a voyage from limerick to Glasgow, with a cargo of oats. All of the crew were saved, but it was thought that the vessel would become a total loss
December 13, 1848 Falcon On Wednesday 13th December 1848, the schooner Falcon , of Glasgow, went on shore at Ballycotton. All the crew (except one) were saved, and the schooner went to pieces.
December 15 to 17, 1848 Nonpareil
General Scott Thomas
Unnamed Brig
Ann Wise
Thomas and Edward
A violent storm lasting 3 days struck the Irish coast in December 1848. Described as being of hurricane proportions by some, it damaged buildings as well as holding up all coastal and cross-channel steamer traffic . In Cork Harbour and along the coast, the effects of the storm were terrible. Local people had never seen such a large sea running in the harbour.
About 10am on the 15th of December a foreign brigantine probably the Minto of Yarmouth, laden with oranges and oil from the Mediterranean parted her anchor cable at Barry's Head and drove ashore at Dunbogue Cove. All fifteen of her crew were drowned.
By mid-morning the 15th of December, there were hurricane-like conditions with the wind from the SSW.
The brigantine General Scott , for America had driven on shore in Morrisons Bay, at the east end of Harbour Row.
There was an unnamed brig ashore at Ballymore, two miles east of the town.
The schooner Ann Wise , from Odessa, had run ashore at Cuskinny. The schooner Thomas and Edward , master Penner, for Liverpool went ashore at Kitchen Cove.
The pilot cutter Rose had sunk at Smith Barry's quay.
The schooner Despatch , from Rye, fouled another Portuguese schooner, with the latter losing her bowspit and having other damage done.
The Pandora, of Wexford, drove on shore between Ballycotton and Ballycrina. The crew were lost and the vessel became a total wreck. The only survivor was a Newfoundland dog.
June 25, 1849 Nautilus June 25th 1849 The Nautilus , of Aberdeen, bound from Salonica in Greece,grounded on the bank in Crosshaven Roads. She had to be discharged with lighters before she could be gotten afloat again
17th Century Wrecks 18th Century Wrecks Early 19th Century Wrecks Later 19th Century Wrecks 20th Century Wrecks 21st Century Wrecks Home